This smocking business is proving trickier than I thought. Like any new endeavour, its taking me a while to get the hang of it, and to create pieces I actually like. The green version from a few posts ago was made into a shirt that ended up in the bin.
Part of the process, referred to as blocking, is where you predetermine the degree of gathering. This is a step that I didn't really worry about initially. Now I realise it makes all the difference.
I feel like I'm getting the hang of it now. I've drafted a sweet pattern for this little bishop's neck top in a 3 to 6 month size.
A later pink version I like even more. Adelaide will wear that tomorrow.