It was a very busy studio yesterday, with lots of customers dropping by for the Townmouse sale.
In a quieter moment earlier this week I made a very quick and simple charm square quilt. I haven't used charm squares or pre-cut fabrics before. I find fabric selection the hardest part of making a quilt, so I liked that this part was already done for me.
I can't say I'm in love with this quilt. It was made quickly, rather than carefully. I don't usually machine quilt my quilts so I read a lot of Rita's posts on basting and quilting. She's the master and go-to-girl for all my quilting quandaries. Unfortunately, I only read her posts too late, after I'd run into problems. Let's just say I'm going to stock up on safety pins, and take more time with my basting in future.
This was the first time I machine finished the binding too. I need more practice at this, and next time will enlist the help of my steam iron. At fashion school we were encouraged to sew without pins, so I rarely use them to secure my work. Going back to pinning undid me a bit. With more attempts I'll work out a way that works for me.
There's one little person who seems happy with it though. This quilt can now be found in Adelaide's cot and will probably travel with her to kindy down the line.
More creative spaces at Kootoyou.