I have been baking Madeleines a lot lately. They take 5 minutes to whip up, and 10 minutes in the oven, which makes them the perfect last minute treat if people drop by. My boys love them in their school lunch too.
I have 9 year old Max home with the flu, so the background to my day is "Man vs. Wild", "Mythbusters", "Megastructures", "James Bond" and "Destroyed in 60 Seconds". It's better than back to back Teletubbies I guess.
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 Tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 35 g self raising flour
- 35 g plain flour
- 75 g butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon hot water
- Heat oven to 200 celsius. Beat eggs, sugar and extract with electric mixer until thick and creamy. Sift flours twice. Sift flours over egg mixture; pour combined butter and water down side of bowl then fold ingredients together.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of mixture into Madeleine pan holes. Bake for 10 minutes. Tap hot pan firmly on bench to release madeleines, then turn onto wire rack and dust with icing sugar. Eat 5 in a row.